Saturday, March 3, 2012

Being Discipled by a Dead Man (2)

This is my 2nd post about my insights from Oswald Chambers. I have always been impressed by people who can get me to consider re-framing my whole world with just a sentence or two, or a couple short questions. Oswald Chambers seems to have that ability in his writings. Here is what he has challenged me with most recently.


**He charges, "If we were asked whether we believed God could make us blameless, we would all say 'Yes'." Then, he asks, "Well, has He done it?" His rhetorical response: "If God has not sanctified us and made us blameless, there is only one reason why He has not - we do not want Him to."


**The other thought challenges my entire perspective on what it means to be a disciple. Chambers posits that it is not whether we know Christ is with us as we face our temptations. That is a given. The more important question is, Are we going with Jesus in His temptations?


It's strange. Sometimes, I will not open this devotional book for a few days after reading just a paragraph. The truth is so sharp. It cuts. I am left processing something that is just straight forward. I don't find many people that talk this clearly about the reality of God's Kingdom. And clear talk is usually not easy to hear for me.


Of course, I realize it is Jesus talking this clearly to me. But I still don't like it much better knowing that. In fact, it is all the more reason I am uncomfortable. I know there is nowhere to hide. And yet, I know He loves me relentlessly, passionately, insanely, jealously. I told you it was strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment