Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What Would the Bible be Rated?

(Most of this post is an old one that I never published.)


Today, I have been challenged to include a "call to action" at the end of my blog post. (Well, technically, I was given this challenge almost two weeks ago. I'm a little behind...)

I am really starting to be somewhat dismayed by my own cynical, sarcastic side. Sometimes, even I am thinking, Gosh Marc, that's a pretty ugly part of who you are!

At this point, I could ask for forgiveness and seek to cleanse that negative characteristic from my personality or I could pass on the ugliness to others and further perpetuate the problem.

Today, this blog post is my attempt to do the latter. Just think of it as my contribution to world restoration.

So, my recent thought was in response to a discussion a few people were having about what children are exposed to in the media. Specifically, they were complaining that parents had brought their children to see a particular movie. (Here comes my mischievous thought.)



I thought about interjecting, "It's okay. They can go home afterward and comfort them with peaceful and wholesome images while reading the Bible together. Maybe parts of Genesis, like when God floods the whole world and all people of all ages drown or the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. There are many tame parts to choose from that merely involve minor, unobjectionable events like rape, murder, kidnapping, or war. And plagues are always good.
There's a little something for the whole family." (See what I mean! Why am I being like this?)
Seriously, this question came up recently for me anyway because my 10-year old daughter has been reading through the Bible from the beginning. Now, she is leading our simple church group through a study and discussion of Genesis. We raise a lot of questions together.

But I can't help but wonder if I should be "covering her eyes" for the "scary parts" of this movie we call Scripture. Then, I doubt myself for even considering such an action. Who am I to deprive her of divine revelation? So, is the good parenting move to expose her to it all no holds barred or to shield her from all that evil deeds recorded for who knows what reason?

I wonder what today's MPAA rating system would rate the Bible if it were turned into a feature film in 2012.

So, back to the "call to action" challenge. My call to action for you is very simple. Give me your opinion. What do you think the Bible would be rated? If you want to go above and beyond, then link to some related information or justification for your answer. This is call to participate in what is, ultimately, a fruitless conversation, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment