Saturday, June 23, 2012

Nothing to Prove

Over the next few posts, I want to share brief reflections on what I consider profound points from a book I recently read, entitled On Becoming a Leader (2009) by Warren Bennis. This work, which a friend of mine told me is basically the standard "go to" guide on leadership, has actually been around for decades. After being updated only a few years ago, it is a terrific resource.

Here is the statement from the introduction of the book that captures my interest today: "Leaders have no interest in proving themselves, but an abiding interest in expressing themselves."

I wish I could cling to this attitude everyday. It is almost always when I get focused on proving myself to others or even myself that I get derailed. To simply express what I am convicted about, sure of, and committed to while being at peace with where the chips may fall seems so much better. It seems right...on all kinds of levels. It seems inspired; more spiritual; more beyond ourselves, if you will.

Who am I trying to prove myself to anyway? Why?

And you? Does this idea resonate with you at all?



No comments:

Post a Comment